This creamy and spicy Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Pie is sweetened with maple syrup and has a flaky butter crust.
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar or maple sugar
½ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
3 to 6 tablespoons ice water
1 14-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
1 cup dark pure maple syrup
2/3 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
4 teaspoons Bourbon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1. Make Pie Dough: Whisk flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter pieces and toss to coat in the flour. Using hands or a pastry cutter work butter into the flour until there are some pea sized pieces and the butter has mostly been incorporated to resemble a coarse meal. Drizzle on 3 tablespoons water and toss with a fork. Gather the dough together into a ball. If it doesn’t come together drizzle on 1 to 3 more tablespoons ice water and repeat tossing it and bringing it together. Flatten dough into a disk, wrap with plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes to firm up. See note for make-ahead instructions.
2. Prep Oven: Arrange oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Make Pie Crust: Roll dough out to a 12-inch circle with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a shallow 9-inch pie plate. Roll excess dough under edge to create tall wall of dough along rim of plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
4. Make filling: Whisk pumpkin puree, maple syrup, sour cream, eggs, Bourbon and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
5. Assemble and Bake: Pour filling into the shell and bake in the lower third of the oven until starting to brown, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking until the filling starts to puff along the outside but the center barely jiggles, 35 to 45 minutes longer. Let cool completely before serving, about 1 ½ hours.
Make Ahead: Once you form the pie dough into the disk you can wrap it and refrigerate it for up to four days. Or you can freeze it for one month. Thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours. Note that you’ll have to let it warm up before you roll it out or it will be too.
To check if it is ready, take a pot holder and gently lift up the edge of the pie plate. The center of the filling should jiggle very slightly, but just in the center. The center will set up after it is removed from the oven.
- Serving Size: 1/10th pie
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 41 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g