This Healthy Apple Crisp is the perfect dessert to bake this fall. It’s made with two varieties of apples and is sweetened naturally with maple syrup.
- 6 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 firm apples, such as Gala, peeled cored and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated maple sugar or brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup rolled oats
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 2 ½ quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Toss apples, 3 tablespoons flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup flour, butter and sugar together in a medium bowl with fingers until the butter is worked into the flour and the mixture becomes crumbly. Add nuts, oats and salt and work into the crumbs. Top the apple mixture with the crumb mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake 15 minutes. Without opening the oven, reduce oven temperature to 325ºF and continue baking until the apple mixture is bubbling along the edges and the topping is golden 60 to 65 minutes longer.
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 38 g
- Sodium: 21 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: healthy apple crisp