There is a whole world out there of autumnal baking goodness beyond pumpkin. Like this Maple Apple Almond Cake. It’s so moist and delicious. And the cinnamon glaze takes it over the top. It’s basically Fall in a dessert!
- 1 cup whole raw unsalted almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 large gold apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray.
- Place almonds in a food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment. Process until the almonds are finely ground, 20 to 30 seconds. Add all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt and pulse to combine.
- Beat eggs and 1 cup maple syrup in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in butter.
- Stir the almond mixture into the maple mixture by hand. Stir in apples. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until the cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 44 to 48 minutes. Cool on a wire rack completely.
- Stir confectioners sugar, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, vinegar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Run a knife along the edges of the cake. Remove sides from the spring-form pan and spread the glaze over the cake.
To Make Ahead: A lot of baked goods, especially those with whole grains, slowly get more and more stale and less and less palatable as time goes by. But in the case of this cake, it is possibly more and more moist and delicious. It is special enough to serve for a holiday table or humble enough to enjoy with a cup of coffee for breakfast.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 423
- Sugar: 45 g
- Sodium: 259 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: dessert,cake,apple,apple cake,maple syrup,almonds,healthy apple cake