This butternut squash mac and cheese uses an entire squash and is the perfect addition to any fall meal. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping!
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash, about 1 ¼ pounds
- 2 cups whole-grain macaroni, 8 oz.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 6 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, about 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, such as Ian’s
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Add squash and steam, covered, until very tender 8 to 12 minutes. Mash about half of the squash in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot, and cook, stirring often until softened and starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add 2 cups milk and bring to a simmer. Whisk the remaining 1 cup milk, flour, mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering milk, whisking constantly. Continue to cook just until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the Gruyere cheese into the thickened milk mixture until it is melted. Add the mashed squash and whisk until combined. Stir in the macaroni and the remaining squash. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add the paprika and stir until evenly moist and bright orange. Sprinkle over the macaroni. Transfer to the oven and bake until bubbling hot and browned on top, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 generous cup each
- Calories: 401
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 459 mg
- Fat: 15 g.
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 19 g