Move over mashed potatoes, there’s a new kid on the block, and it is still as creamy, buttery and totally satisfying as their higher carb cousin. Meet this creamy Low Carb Mashed Cauliflower recipe. It’s the ultimate keto-friendly comfort food side dish you’ll make over and over again.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese or Neufchatel, softened
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Pinch white pepper or ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional Garnishes: melted butter, chopped chives or parsley
- Set up large saucepan with a steamer basket. Fill with water to the bottom of the basket. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Set up food processor with steel blade attachment.
- Meanwhile, remove any green leaves from the head of cauliflower and cut away any dark spots. Cut through the whole head of cauliflower with a sharp chef’s knife. Remove the core in a triangular shaped wedge cut from both halves of the head. Roughly chop the cauliflower into 2-inch chunks and florets. You should have about 8 cups, chopped.
- Add the cauliflower to the steamer basket, cover and steam over high heat 10 to 12 minutes until the cauliflower is completely tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, swirling until the garlic is fragrant and turning golden, about 30 seconds. Immediately scrape the garlic butter into the food processor to prevent the garlic from burning.
- When the cauliflower is tender, transfer it to the food processor with the garlic mixture. Add cream cheese, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape sides several times, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately garnished as desired with melted butter, chopped chives or parsley.
To Steam Cauliflower in Microwave
- Place the florets in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1/2 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap or a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave on high power for five minutes. Stir well and microwave again for another 5 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender when tested with a fork.
- Drain it very well. For the best texture briefly spread out on a dry kitchen towel to remove excess moisture before transferring to the food processor.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 97 cal
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: low carb mashed cauliflower, mashed cauliflower, keto mashed cauliflower, cauliflower mashed potatoes