This 30-minute Healthy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli is only 300 calories per serving, making it a delicious, kid-friendly weeknight dinner!
- 2 ½ cups uncooked pasta, preferably whole-wheat (6.8 ounces)
- 4 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized cubes (1 pound)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta 3 minutes less than time according to package instructions. Add broccoli and continue cooking for the remaining 3 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, leaving excess flour in the bowl. Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until browned on one or two sides, about 4 minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm (it will continue cooking in step 4).
- Wipe out skillet with a clean paper towel. Reduce heat to medium.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the skillet. Add garlic, and cook stirring until fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds. Stir in the chicken and any juice from the plate.
- Dust on the remaining flour from the bowl, and stir to combine. Add broth and stir until the flour is incorporated. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer stirring often. Stir in milk, half and half, Dijon and thyme, reduce heat to medium and return to a simmer, stirring. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 cup Parmesan. Stir until the sauce is smooth. Add pasta and broccoli, and stir until combined. Serve topped with additional Parmesan.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 56 mg