This Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole is adapted from the 28-Day Dash Diet. It is ready in just 40 minutes, a snap to make, super yummy and kid friendly. The simple homemade enchilada sauce takes this dish over the top. Gluten Free version, too! Serve with avocado, cilantro and Greek yogurt.
1 tablespoon avocado or organic canola oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
2 pounds ground chicken
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 Tablespoons taco seasoning, *see note for homemade
6 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas, cut to fit the pan as needed *see note for gluten-free version
2 cups Enchilada Sauce, homemade or store bought
3/4 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 11 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, red bell pepper and jalapeño and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until soft. Add the ground chicken and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently to break up the meat, until the chicken is cooked. Stir in the garlic and taco seasoning. Remove from the heat.
- Place two tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish overlapping as needed. Layer with 1/3 of the meat, 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the cheese. Create another two layers, ending with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese in melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
For a gluten free version substitute corn tortillas for the whole-wheat. *To make salt-free homemade taco seasoning stir together 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano (optional), 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper.
- Serving Size: 1/8 casserol
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 28 g