This Kale Salad with Blueberries, Manchego and Pumpkin Seed Clusters is just what the doctor ordered after the weekend. It is loaded with nutritious ingredients that will set you right back on course.
Pumpkin seed clusters
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- generous pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with a silpat cooking mat.
- Stir pumpkin seeds, honey, cinnamon, chipotle and pinch salt in a medium bowl. Spread out onto the baking sheet. Bake until the mixture is sticky and fragrant, about 10 minutes, Stir with a spatula and return to the oven. Bake until the pumpkin seed clusters are dried out looking and clump together, 3 to 5 minutes more. Let cool before removing from the baking sheet. They will stick together as they cool to form clusters.
- Toss kale in a large salad bowl with the dressing. Massage gently if desired to tenderize the kale. Transfer to four shallow bowls. Top with blueberries and Manchego.
- Just before serving top with the pumpkin seed clusters and fresh pepper.
Make Ahead Tips
- Dressing: The dressing can be made up to one week in advance. If it has become solid in the refrigerator, warm the jar up in a bowl of warm water.
- Kale: One of the great things about kale is that you can let it sit with dressing on it for quite a long time and it just gets better and better. So this recipe would actually be a great one to make in advance. If you do this, no need to massage the kale as it will naturally wilt as it sits with the dressing. This is a technique I used for my Overnight Kale Caesar Salad and it works wonders! Just make sure to wait until just before serving to add on the toppings.
- Cheese: Feel free to crumble the cheese in advance. Keep it refrigerated. It will have the best flavor if you bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Seed Clusters: Because it can be humid at this time of year, and honey is hygroscopic, the seed clusters can get tacky if they sit out too long. They are fine for an hour or so. I just mention that in case you’re planning to make this for guests and want to prep ahead. Add them on top just before serving.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 176 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 32 g