Kale Pesto is a fun twist on the classic pesto recipe. Made with nutritious kale, spicy basil, sweet pinenuts, and salty Romano cheese, this easy make-ahead homemade sauce is ready in just 10 minutes and lasts for months in the freezer!
- 1 peeled clove garlic
- 4 cups clean kale leaves, loosely packed (3 ½ ounces)
- 1 cup clean loosely packed basil leaves
- ½ cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 7 tablespoons shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- With the motor of the food processor running, drop garlic through the feed tube and allow to process until finely chopped.
- Open the lid, and add kale and basil. Pulse and then process continuously until the greens are finely chopped.
- Open the lid, and add pinenuts (or walnuts), Romano (or Parmesan), and salt.
- Pulse to combine and scrape down the sides. With the motor running drizzle in oil. Scrape sides and process again until smooth.
Make Ahead: Can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Store in the freezer, for 8 months, with plastic on top of the sauce, for up to 8 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauces and Condiments
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: kale pesto, kale pesto recipe, kale sauce, kale and basil pesto, kale basil pesto, kale sauce pasta, basil and kale pesto, kale pesto pasta