A savory vegetarian galette made with kale and beet greens cooked with garlic and sprinkled with feta, currants and pine nuts. It is baked in a free-form whole-wheat buttermilk pastry crust. You can use a combination of kale and beet greens for this recipe or add in chard or spinach if you prefer.
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, preferably stone ground
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 cups chopped washed cooking greens, such as kale, chard and beet greens
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, preferably white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Make Crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add cubes of butter and toss to coat with the flour. Rub butter together with the flour mixture to work it into the flour mixture slightly, leaving some large chunks remaining. Add buttermilk and toss with a fork to combine. Work with hands to bring the flour mixture together as a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Work the butter chunks into the dough by smearing the dough away from you on the work surface two or three times. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Make Filling: While dough chills, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant and just starting to brown, 20 to 30 seconds. Add greens and cook, stirring constantly until the greens are wilted and just barely cooked down, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the greens into a large heat-proof bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg white and buttermilk in a small dish and add to cooled greens. Add feta, currants, salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to coat the greens completely.
- Assemble and Bake Galette: Lay a wide sheet of parchment on work surface. Unwrap the dough and setin the middle of the parchment. Top with another sheet of parchment. Roll dough out to ¼-inch thick round about 11 to 12-inches wide. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet. Peel away top layer parchment. Spread the greens out in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 to 3-inch border. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Fold the edges of the dough around the filling, using a spatula to lift. Brush the egg yolk over the crust.
- Bake the galette until the crust is golden and set up, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1/6 galette
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 531 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: galette,savory,beet greens,kale,vegetarian,holiday,easter,christmas,brunch,feta,pine nuts