Jam Thumbprint Cookies made with almond cookies and raspberry jam- flavors just like a Linzer Tart! They are made with whole-grain flour and just enough butter to make them rich and indulgent tasting for a Christmas cookie!
- 3 ½ ounces almonds (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Arrange two oven racks evenly spaced in the upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place almonds and 2 tablespoons brown sugar in food processor. Process until the nuts are finely ground, about 40 seconds. Add whole-wheat flour, flour, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine.
- Beat butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixture until smooth. Add the remaining ½ cup brown sugar and beat until combined. Scrape sides, add egg, vanilla and almond extract and beat until completely incorporated. Add flour mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Roll dough into 24 balls. Roll balls in turbinado and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Press gently down in the center with thumb or finger to create a slight indent. Whisk jam in a medium bowl until smooth. Pipe from a resealable bag with corner cut off (or use a pastry bag or spoon) filling wells with jam into the center of each.
- Bake, swapping the baking sheets half-way, until the cookies are just lightly golden and set up, 12 to 13 minutes total.
Allow the cookies to sit out for a few hours so the jam dries, then stack them in an airtight container with parchment paper placed in between each layer. The parchment paper keeps the cookies from freezing stuck together.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 92 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: Healthy Thumbprint Cookies, Whole Wheat Thumbprint Cookies,Linzer Thumbprint Cookies