Here is an easy 35 minute recipe for Italian seasoned beef and marinara stuffed portobellos topped with shredded cheese and roasted! They are a great weeknight dinner, high in protein and only have 11 grams net carbs!
- 1 pound ground beef, preferably grass-fed (see ingredient notes)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs (see ingredient notes)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and gills scraped out with a spoon
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- 3 ounces shredded cheese, such as Italian blend
- Place large skillet in oven on center rack. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, gently knead beef, egg, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Brush oil all over tops and bottoms of the portobello caps. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Divide the beef mixture into four even amounts, patting them into patties. Fill portobello caps with the beef mixture. Remove the hot skillet from the oven. Place portobellos, meat side up into the skillet and return the skillet to the oven.
- Bake until the beef is browned on top and the mushroom is softened and wilted, 16 to 18 minutes. Spoon marinara sauce over the beef and top with cheese. Return to the oven until the meat is cooked through, the marinara is hot and bubbling and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Let cool slightly before transferring to plates with a slotted spatula.
Ground Beef: To make this vegetarian, substitute Ground Impossible Burger for the beef. This can also be made with ground turkey. Use moistened hands to handle the filling, as turkey is more “sticky” than beef.
Breadcrumbs: To help bind the filling, you will need some dry unseasoned breadcrumbs. (If you happen to have Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs, they work fine too.) If you are on a grain-free diet you can substitute almond flour. For gluten-free diets, use Ian’s gluten-free panko instead.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed mushroom
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1260 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 23 g