This thick and hearty 15 bean and ham soup is brimming with tender beans, veggies and smoky ham. Make it with holiday ham bone or use smoked ham hocks to add richness and meaty smoky flavor. It is so easy and the Instant pot pressure cooks the beans in under an hour, without soaking!
1 pound bag 15 or 16-bean dried bean blend
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
¾ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine, optional
6 cups homemade chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 large or 2 small smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone (optional, see note)
2 bay leaves
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place beans on a sheet pan, and sort them by running handfuls across the pan as you scan. Remove any rocks or foreign debris. Discard seasoning packet if included.
- Set Instant Pot to “saute” function. Add oil and tilt the appliance to allow the oil to swirl over the bottom of the cooking pan. Add garlic, carrots, celery, onion, oregano, thyme, paprika and salt. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables start to soften and brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add sherry and stir to deglaze any browned bits from the bottom of the cooking surface. Add stock broth, beans, ham (hock or bone), bay leaves and pepper and stir to combine. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot and close. Set valve to “seal.” Set Instant Pot to “Pressure Cook” for 50 minutes.
- When timer goes off, using oven mitt or tongs, carefully set valve to “release” and allow the steam to escape. Once the steam is completely released, remove lid.
- With tongs, take out the bay leaves and ham bone and chunks of ham. Pick any bits of ham off the bone(s). Discard bones and any chunks of fat.
- If desired, puree 2 cups soup in a blender and add back to the soup or briefly puree the soup with immersion blender to thicken.
- Add the shredded ham to the soup. Stir in with parsley and lemon. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
Ingredient Note: Dried bean blends vary by brand. Some contain barley which is not suitable for gluten-free diets, so if you are concerned make sure to check packages. Some blends are 15 beans and some are 16 beans. Use them interchangeably for this recipe. Discard any “ham seasoning” packages.
If using a ham bone that does not have a lot of meat on it, feel free to add up to 5 ounces shredded leftover ham to the finished soup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Active Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
- Calories: 319 cals
- Sugar: 10 g
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 68 g
- Fiber: 31 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: Instant pot ham and bean soup,instant pot bean soup,instant pot 15 bean soup,instant pot ham bean soup