Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar cheese with a slow cooker alternative. Naturally gluten-free.
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup beer or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons brown deli mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 medium gold or white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip or carrot, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup half and half
- Whisk broth, beer, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in the insert of an instant pot or a large slow cooker. Add in potatoes, celery, garlic, onion, parsnip, and cauliflower.
- For instant pot close lid and set float valve to seal. Set to high for 10 minutes. If using slow cooker set to low for 8 hours.
- For Instant Pot, when timer goes off, carefully turn valve to release steam (use tongs and oven mits to prevent steam burn.)
- 4. Puree soup with an immersion blender (or very carefully in batches in a blender) to desired smoothness. Stir cheese and half and half into hot pureed soup. Serve hot!
Pressure Cooker Tips:
Once the soup ingredients are stirred together, seal the lid close by twisting it. If it is plugged in, it should make a clever bleeping noise to let you know you’ve secured the lid correctly.
Next- a super important detail- turn the valve on the top to “seal” position. That closes up the chamber so that the pressure can build up inside the pot.
Then turn it on to high for 10 minutes. Note: it takes a while for the pot to come up to pressure. Like 12 or 15 minutes. Then the timer will start. This is normal.
Once the timer goes off (and the Instant Pot beeps loudly) you can release the pressure, but MAKE SURE YOU DO SO SAFELY! Here’s how: Put an oven mitt on your hand. Put a set of tongs in the oven mit. Use the tongs to twist the valve to release to “quick release” the steam. It will splutter a bit, so the oven mitt will protect you from any spray or steam.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10 g