These fluffy Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes are made with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, buttermilk and the nourishing goodness of whole-grain flour. Serve up a hearty and wholesome stack with pure maple syrup for a healthy fall breakfast!
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, melted coconut oil or organic canola oil, plus 2 teaspoons for griddle
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat pancake griddle to medium-high heat, or pancake setting on an electric griddle (400 degrees F.)
- While griddle heats, whisk flour, cinnamon or spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until foamy. Beat in buttermilk, pumpkin and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. If the mixture thickens as it sits or is too thick, gently stir in up to 1/3 cup water to thin the batter.
- Lightly brush griddle with ½ teaspoon oil. Ladle batter about 1/4 cup at a time onto the griddle, spacing so they do not run together. Cook the pancakes until browned on the bottom, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the pancakes over and continue cooking until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Keep cooked pancakes warm while cooking the remaining batter, re-brushing the griddle with the remaining oil as necessary.
To Keep Warm
Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in an oven set at 250 degrees F.
Make Ahead, Storage and Freezing
Leftovers: Keep wrapped to prevent them from drying out. Refrigerate up to three days.
Freeze: Freeze them flat on a baking sheet. Once solid, transfer the frozen pancakes to a resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze up to one month. Thaw and reheat in the microwave (about 1 minute and 20 seconds for 2 pancakes.)
Reheat: To reheat refrigerated left-over pancakes heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds per pancake.
This recipe can be made in a large non-stick skillet. Make sure to regulate the temperature of the pan between batches as it will get hotter and hotter as you go. Brush with additional oil as necessary.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: whole wheat pumpkin pancakes,healthy pumpkin pancakes