Healthy Waldorf Chicken Salad, an easy gluten-free lunch that is high protein but under 300 calories! It has celery, apples, walnuts and poached chicken breast in a creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt plus a generous pinch for poaching liquid
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dry tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 large apple, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- Place chicken in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue simmering until the chicken is no-longer pink in the center, 12 to 16 minutes (depending on thickness.) Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized cubes and let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, tarragon, white pepper, granulated garlic (or garlic powder) and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in apple, celery, walnut and onion (or shallot.)
- When the chicken is cool, stir into the yogurt mixture.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 298 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 21 g