This healthy Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy features braised beef and vegetables in a red wine sauce with a bit of bacon and maple syrup added for good measure!
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed beef chuck, cut into large bite sized chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 8-ounce container white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 ½ cups red wine, such as Burgundy or Pinot Noir
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dark pure maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring once or twice, until seared and browned on several sides, and no longer pink on the outside, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the beef to the insert of a slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to medium heat, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and add onion, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables are starting to soften and brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Add wine, carrots, celery, tomato, broth, maple syrup, salt and pepper and stir. Cover and set timer for 5 hours on low.
- When timer has 1 hour left, mash flour and butter together in a small dish until smooth. Stir flour and butter mixture into the stew until it dissolves, cover and continue cooking until the timer goes off. Stir the bacon into the stew. Serve the stew topped with parsley.
To make ahead: Prepare through step 3 and refrigerate overnight. Continue with step 4, adding 30 minutes to total initial cooking time before stirring in the butter and flour mixture.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 780 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 10 g
Keywords: slow cooker beef burgundy, beef burgundy stew, beef burgundy