These Healthy Sloppy Joes may skimp on added sugar, coming in at only 2 grams per serving, but they definitely don’t skimp on lip smacking flavor. And you’ll be able to get dinner on the table in under 45 minutes making this a perfect weeknight recipe!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, about 4
- 1 pound lean ground beef, preferably grass fed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch allspice
- 8 whole grain buns, toasted if desired
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until very soft, translucent and browned, 12 to 15 minutes. If onions are browning too quickly, add 1 to 3 tablespoons water.
- Meanwhile, pulse mushrooms in a food processor fitted with steel blade attachment until finely chopped. Alternatively, finely chop with a knife.
- Add mushrooms to the onions, and cook, until the mushrooms have release their juices and the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Add beef, and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until broken up, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat mixture, and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and allspice and simmer, stirring occasionally until the beef is cooked through and the sauce is thick and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Serve on buns.
- Serving Size: Generous 1/2 cup each
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 548mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 20 g