These Healthy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes may be lighter in calories with non-fat plain yogurt, but they are far from light on flavor with layer upon layer of yummy garlic! They are naturally gluten-free!
- 2 heads plus two cloves garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, preferably white
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two heads of garlic for roasting: Leaving garlic head intact, cut tip off of garlic cloves, exposing the flesh of each clove. Repeat with the second head of garlic. Place the heads root-side down on a sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle oil over the exposed flesh. Wrap up the heads into a bundle and bake until fragrant and the garlic is tender, about 45 minutes. Open packet to vent and set aside to cool.
- When the garlic is cool, squeeze the garlic out of the skins into a bowl and mash with a fork into a smooth paste. Mash in butter, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in yogurt.
- Meanwhile, peel the remaining 2 cloves garlic. Cover potatoes and the two cloves garlic generously with cold water in a large saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to18 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Mash potatoes with a potato masher. Add the yogurt mixture and mash until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with parsley.
12 mg cholesterol, 0 g added sugars
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup each
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 466 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3.8 g