Healthy whole-wheat pasta, ready in just 30 minutes with romanesco cauliflower and anchovies.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, such as rigatoni, penne or fusilli (2 cups)
- 1 large head romanesco cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces (5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy filets, minced
- ¼ cup shredded Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, stir well and set timer according to package cooking instructions. When the pasta has 4 minutes left stir in Romanesco. Continue cooking until the pasta and Romanesco are just tender. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking liquid and drain pasta and Romanesco thoroughly. Return the pasta mixture to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a small skillet over medium heat. When the garlic just starts to brown remove from the heat and stir in anchovy.
- Pour the anchovy mixture over the pasta and Romanesco and stir to coat. Add ¼ cup Romano cheese and pepper and stir to coat. If mixture is dry add a little of the reserved cooking liquid. Divide among four plates and top with additional cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 10