Healthy whole-wheat pasta, ready in just 30 minutes with romanesco cauliflower and anchovies.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, such as rigatoni, penne or fusilli (2 cups)
- 1 large head romanesco cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces (5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy filets, minced
- ¼ cup shredded Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, stir well and set timer according to package cooking instructions. When the pasta has 4 minutes left stir in Romanesco. Continue cooking until the pasta and Romanesco are just tender. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking liquid and drain pasta and Romanesco thoroughly. Return the pasta mixture to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a small skillet over medium heat. When the garlic just starts to brown remove from the heat and stir in anchovy.
- Pour the anchovy mixture over the pasta and Romanesco and stir to coat. Add ¼ cup Romano cheese and pepper and stir to coat. If mixture is dry add a little of the reserved cooking liquid. Divide among four plates and top with additional cheese if desired.
Make Ahead Tip:
Make the garlic oil the night before or earlier in the day and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Once the pasta and romanesco are cooked, remove the garlic oil and add to the pot of pasta. Cook, stirring, over low heat until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 10
Keywords: pasta romanesco, romanesco pasta, romanesco cauliflower pasta recipe, romanesco recipe pasta