This Chicken Divan is a healthy comfort food make over made with no mayonnaise. The chicken and tons of broccoli are cooked in a creamy sauce in one pot. Ready in under 1 hour it’s the perfect cozy Winter dinner!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 pieces medium crowns Broccoli chopped into small (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons panko
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on the outside and just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened and starting to brown slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sherry, increase heat to high and simmer, scraping up any browned bits (or until the sherry is almost completely evaporated), 1 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups broth and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir the remaining ½ cup broth and flour in a small bowl to make a slurry. Gradually whisk the slurry into the simmering vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/3 cup parmesan and sour cream. Stir in the chicken and any accumulated juices.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli and ½ cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a layer of parchment and then a layer of plastic wrap and microwave until the broccoli is bright green, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove cover, drain broccoli.
- Add the broccoli to the chicken mixture. Mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil with panko and paprika in a small dish. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake until hot all the way through and the top is golden, 15 to 22 minutes.
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g
Keywords: chicken divan, chicken divan recipe, healthy chicken divan