This Chicken Divan is a healthy comfort food make over made with no mayonnaise. The chicken and tons of broccoli are cooked in a creamy sauce in one pot. Ready in under 1 hour it’s the perfect cozy Winter dinner!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 pieces medium crowns Broccoli chopped into small (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons panko
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on the outside and just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened and starting to brown slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sherry, increase heat to high and simmer, scraping up any browned bits (or until the sherry is almost completely evaporated), 1 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups broth and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir the remaining ½ cup broth and flour in a small bowl to make a slurry. Gradually whisk the slurry into the simmering vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/3 cup parmesan and sour cream. Stir in the chicken and any accumulated juices.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli and ½ cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a layer of parchment and then a layer of plastic wrap and microwave until the broccoli is bright green, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove cover, drain broccoli.
- Add the broccoli to the chicken mixture. Mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil with panko and paprika in a small dish. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake until hot all the way through and the top is golden, 15 to 22 minutes.
This casserole can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven.
To Reheat in a microwave: cover loosely with paper towel or parchment. Heat on half power for four minutes. Test to see if it is hot through with an instant read thermometer. If not, continue heating at half power for one minute at a time.
To Reheat in the oven: Cover loosely with foil. Heat at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until it is hot all the way through.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through step 6 and cover with aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 1 day. Transfer covered to a 350 degrees oven and heat through, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove foil, then continue with adding topping etc with step 7.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g