Healthy homemade vegan vegetable soup recipe with all sorts of yummy harvest veggies, including butternut squash and kale. Paleo, vegan, and gluten-free.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large diced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups Imagine No-Chicken Broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 10 dashes Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 4-inch sprig rosemary
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 pounds or 4 ½ cups)
- 4 cups finely chopped kale leaves (no stems)
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 1 large) peeled and seeded if desired
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt, and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add carrots, celery and Herbes de Provence. Cover and cook, removing lid to stir often until the vegetables are starting to brown and sizzle, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring until the wine is almost completely evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, Tabasco sauce and rosemary and bring to a boil. Add squash, and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low or to maintain a simmer, and cook until the squash is tender, but not falling apart, about 12 minutes.
- Add kale and tomatoes and stir until the kale is wilted into the soup. Cook until the kale is tender, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove rosemary sprig before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 814 mg
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: vegan vegetable soup