I can guarantee you will not be disappointed when you try this marinated grilled flank steak with grilled tomatoes and herbs. It’s so simple and the delicious tomato, vinegar, and herb marinade doubles as the mop sauce, which transforms the grass-fed steak into a tender and juicy dinner to remember!
- 1 medium slicing tomato, such as beefsteak, cored and chopped
- 1 shallot peeled and quartered
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, preferably grass-fed, fat trimmed
- Puree tomato, shallot, vinegar, marjoram, rosemary, salt and pepper in blender until smooth. Reserve ½ cup for mop. Scrape the remaining tomato mixture into a re-sealable plastic bag. Add steak and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill to medium high heat. Remove steak from marinade and discard any left-over marinade. Oil grill rack. (see how to do that in this post.) Grill steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium and 8 minutes per side for medium-well; after turning meat brush first cooked side with mop. Brush mop over second cooked side and remove to a platter to rest 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve with any remaining mop spooned over sliced meat.
Marjoram can be substituted with oregano if necessary, but keep in mind that the marinade will lose some of its sweetness.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 1/2 ounces each
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 289 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
Keywords: grilled tomato herb flank steak, marinated grilled flank steak,Tomato Marinade