Grilled lamb kofta made with onion and spices and then shaped and skewered onto kebabs. It is an easy middle eastern inspired main course that’s ready in under 30 minutes, perfect for grilling season.
- 1 pound lean ground lamb (sub beef if you prefer)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped curly parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Knead lamb, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a medium bowl with clean hands until the seasonings are evenly distributed through the meat.
- Divide into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a 8-inch sausage shape. Thread meat onto a heavy metal skewer.
- Soak a folded paper towel with oil. Hold the towel with tongs. Drag it along the grill grate toward you to oil grill rack. Do this immediately before adding the meat, as the oil will cook off quickly.
- Grill kebabs, turning every 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked through, 9 to 13 minutes. Let rest on a cutting board for 4 minutes before removing skewer and slicing.
Prevent flare ups:
If your lamb is not very lean you may end up having flare-ups on the grill.
For Gas Grill: If this happens while you are grilling the kofta, turn off one of the burners, and set the skewers over the extinguished side of the grill. Close the lid and use indirect heat to finish cooking them. For a charcoal grill: Plan ahead and bank your coals to one side. Use indirect heat grilling by placing the kebabs over a section where there isn’t any charcoal below. Cover the grill.
Prevent Sticking: Oiling the grill will help prevent sticking. Make sure not to try to force the kebabs to turn them. They will release from the grill once the meat has set.
- Prep Time: 16 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1 kebab
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 322
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 22
Keywords: lamb kofta,kofta kebabs,grilled kofta