Meet my Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad for Salad Month—it is low-carb and gluten-free and will be the star of any Cinco De Mayo celebration!
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders separated, about 1 pound
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons Mexican Spice Blend or Fajita seasoning mix, divided
- 2 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 bell peppers, cored and cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¼ cup plain low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Place garlic cloves in a large Ziploc bag, press air out and seal the bag. Smash garlic with the smooth side of a meat mallet.
- Open bag and add chicken breasts. Press air out of bag and reseal. Pound meat through the bag until the thickest part of the breast is level with the thinnest, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Open bag again and add tenders, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons Mexican spice mix, and ¾ teaspoon salt. Press out air and reseal bag and agitate until the chicken is coated in the marinade. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix peppers, onion and corn in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, ¾ teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 teaspoons Mexican spice blend. Place two sheets measuring 12 by 22-inches of heavy-duty aluminum foil or a double layer of regular foil on work surface. Divide pepper and onion mixture into the center of the two foil sheets.
- Fold into a flat packet and crimp edges closed.
- Place vegetable packet on grill grate and cook, rotating and flipping occasionally until the peppers and onions are soft and starting to brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Grill chicken until no-longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile combine 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoons lime juice, ¾ teaspoon salt, Greek yogurt, honey in a food-processor or miniprep food-processor. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop half of the avocado into the food processor or mini prep, cover and puree, scraping down sides as needed to get ingredients moving, until smooth, 30 to 45 seconds. Add chopped cilantro and pulse to combine.
- Toss Romaine with about 2/3 of the dressing and divide among four plates. Divide onion and pepper mixture over the lettuce. Top with grilled chicken. Dollop any remaning dressing over the salads. Dice the remaining ½ avocado and scatter over the salads. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Calories: 338 cal
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 446mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 28g