This season, make sure to plan on trying my recipe for Grilled Asparagus. Once you make it, and see just how easy it is to get the perfect crisp-tender texture, you will make it over and over again!
2 pounds asparagus, woody ends snapped off
1 tablespoon organic canola oil or avocado oil
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
½ lemon, optional
- Preheat grill to high heat. If using grill pan add to the grill grates to preheat.
- Toss the asparagus with the oil, salt and pepper to coat.
- Lay the asparagus spears on the grill grate (crosswise) or on the grill pan. Grill until browned on the bottom, 1 to 3 minutes. Turn over by rolling with tongs and let cook on a second side until tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a platter and squeeze lemon over it, if using.
- Make sure to completely preheat the grill and the vegetable grilling basket if using.
- Spread the asparagus out in a single layer across the grill grates, or on the grill pan or grill basket. They should be in an even layer, with space around them so that the heat can come between each spear.
- Let them grill for about 1 minute for thinner spears or up to 3 for thicker spears. (Charcoal grills will be hotter than gas grills.) The bottoms will brown nicely and the tips will start to darken, and may look a little dried or charred.
- Flip them, with grilling tongs, or roll them on the grill grate so that that the other side can cook.
- As you turn them, take note of the texture and “bendiness” of the spears. If they are already pliable, they will not need much time at all on the second side. If they are still stiff, you can grill them for about as long as the first side. Look for browning, but don’t let the tops burn.
- Serving Size: 1/6 batch about 4 spears
- Calories: 52 calories
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g