These Asian green beans are steamed green beans tossed in an umami mixture of garlic, finely chopped shiitakes and fermented black beans (which are fermented and salted black soybeans). They’re a great side dish for holidays or weeknight dinners.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons peanut or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- Generous pinch red pepper flake
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried fermented black soybeans
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or shao shing wine
- Bring several inches of water to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot fitted with a steamer basket. Add green beans and steam, covered until bright green and crisp tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove steamer basket from the pot and open up to let beans cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often until the mushrooms are browned and about half their original volume, 4 to 6 minutes. Add black beans, pepper and salt and stir to coat.
- Add the green beans and sherry or shao shing and cook, stirring often until the green beans are heated through and coated, about 1 minute longer.
Make-Ahead: Can be prepared through step one up to one day in advance. Store beans in a sealed container in the fridge. The beans will take a bit longer to reheat in step 3.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1 cup each
- Calories: 81 calories
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: Green Beans with Mushrooms,Asian Green Beans,Fermented Black Beans and Green Beans