Green beans with basil vinaigrette- a simple summer side dish
- 1 pound green beans, stem end trimmed off
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice and water for an ice bath. Add green beans to the boiling water, stir to submerge and cook until the beans are crisp tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice bath. Let sit in ice bath until chilled, drain and transfer to serving platter.
- Meanwhile, chop garlic. Sprinkle with salt and continue to chop and mash with the side of a chefs knife until it forms a paste. Puree basil, olive oil, vinegar, Dijon and the garlic salt mixture in a blender or mini-prep food processor until smooth.
- Pour dressing over the green beans and grind pepper over to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 234 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g