These Greek Yogurt Apple Streusel Muffins are a nutritious back-to-school snack. Each one is filled with natural whole grains and has 5 grams of protein!
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated natural cane sugar (evaporated cane juice)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt, preferably 0% fat
- 2/3 cup granulated natural cane sugar (evaporated cane juice)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- ¼ cup apple juice, apple cider or water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely diced
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 12-well muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper muffin liners.
- Rub together oats, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons cane sugar, butter and ½ teaspoon cinnamon with clean fingertips in a small bowl until crumbly.
- Whisk egg, yogurt, evaporated cane juice, oil and apple juice in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Add the apple and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tin wells. Top with the streusel, dividing evenly. Transfer to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 26 to 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the muffin tin, and transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 170 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg