If not being a morning person is standing between you and your healthy eating goals, then these Grab-and-go High-Protein Veggie Egg Cups, may be your new BFF! Rub the sleep outta those eyes, my friend, and grab a couple of these on your way out the door. You’ll get 17 grams of low-carb, veggie heavy, hunger-busting protein to start your day right!
- Cooking spray or ghee
- 3 cups low-carb chopped vegetables, such as kale, scallions, broccoli and peppers
- ½ cup water
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup, such as Cheddar
- 11 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or brush with Ghee.
- Place veggies and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and set over high heat. Cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain the vegetables in a sieve.
- Divide the vegetables evenly among the muffin tin wells. Top with cheddar cheese. Whisk eggs, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large measuring cup. Carefully pour over the vegetables and cheddar, dividing evenly among the cups.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until the eggs are puffed in the center, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Refrigerate up to 4 days. Reheat until steaming hot or enjoy cold.
If you don’t have a muffin tin, you could make this recipe in a 9×13-inch baking dish instead. Evenly spread out vegetables across the bottom of the baking dish, then carefully pour the egg mixture over top (following original instructions). Once it’s cooked, allow the egg to cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 egg cups
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 17
Keywords: protein egg bites, high protein egg muffins, make ahead high protein low carb breakfast, veggie egg cups, veggie egg muffins