This gluten free cornbread recipe is baked in a cast iron skillet. Serve with chili or use for Thanksgiving stuffing. Bonus: you can make it with or without sugar.
- 6 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Swirl 1 tablespoon oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and place on a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, eggs and buttermilk in a large bowl. Whisk cornmeal, baking mix, sugar (if using), baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- When oven is preheated, add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir to combine. Pull the oven rack out, and brush the hot canola oil around the inside of the skillet. Carefully pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet.
- Bake until the cornbread is puffed and golden brown, and set up in the center, 22 to 24 minutes. Serve warm for the best texture. Let it cool about 30 minutes then slice into wedges.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the cornbread (about 3 ounces)
- Calories: 210 calories
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 394 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: gluten free cornbread, gluten-free skillet cornbread, how to make cornbread without flour