Blueberries and peaches come together in a simple gluten-free crisp recipe sweetened with pure maple sugar. Walnuts and flax seed give a boost of Omega 3s.
- 5 cups sliced peaches (peeled if desired see tip*)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup granulated maple sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoons ground flax seed, divided
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon (optional)
- 1/3 cup rice flour, preferably brown rice flour
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup rolled oats, gluten-free if desired
- ½ cup chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir peaches, blueberries, ½ cup maple sugar, corn starch, 1 tablespoon flax meal and Bourbon if using in a large bowl.
- Mix rice flour, the remaining ¼ cup maple sugar, butter and the remaining 1 teaspoon flax meal in another bowl with a silicone spatula or rub together with hands until the butter is mashed into the dry ingredients, and the mixture is crumbly. Add oats and nuts and stir to combine.
- Spread the peach mixture out in the prepared baking dish. Top with the oat mixture and transfer to the oven. Bake until the filling bubbles and the topping is browned, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 45 minutes before serving.
Tip* to peel peaches. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Set up an ice bath of water and ice in a large bowl. Cut a small “X” on the bottom of each peach. Two or three at a time, lower peaches into the boiling water using a slotted spoon. Let peaches boil until the skins start to curl back at the “X” mark, 30 seconds to 1 minute for ripe peaches, longer for un-ripe peaches. Transfer the peaches to the ice bath and let cool. Remove from ice bath and skins should slip right off.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup each
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 73 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g