Gluten-free breakfast bread perfect for toasting, to have with preserves or an egg.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 scoops unflavored whey protein powder (I used Cabot)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk, almond milk or milk
- ½ cup canola oil, preferably organic
- 2 eggs whites and yolks separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 8 ½-inch by 4 1/2 –inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk sorghum, brown rice flour, protein powder and baking powder in a large bowl. Wisk buttermilk, almond milk or milk in a glass measuring cup with oil and egg yolks. Pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine. Beat eggwhites and salt in a medium bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold eggwhites into the batter. Spread bread batter in the prepared loaf pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until the bread is puffed and golden and set up in the center when touched lightly, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 159 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g