This healthy Garden Vegetable Soup will fill you up with nourishing goodness! It can be customized to the veggies you have on hand, it takes less than an hour to make and is only 131 calories per cup. Perfect for lunches, dinners and meal prep.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced or 4 cups cleaned sliced leeks
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large white or gold potato (not russet) peeled if desired, cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole sprig rosemary
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups trimmed and cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1/2 cup frozen or shelled green peas, optional
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions (or leeks) and salt and cook, stirring often until the onions are starting to brown, 5 to 8 minutes (3 to 4 minutes for leeks). Stir in garlic and cook, stirring until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in smoked paprika, oregano, thyme and turmeric and cook stirring to bloom the spices, 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth. Add in carrots, celery, potato, bay leaf and rosemary and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini, green beans and tomatoes, and simmer until the green beans and zucchini are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprig. Stir in peas, if using, and heat through for 1 minute. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
Make Ahead, Freezing and Reheating
Kep leftovers cold up to 4 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often until simmering hot. Alternatively reheat in the microwave on high power, stirring once or twice, until the soup is piping hot (about 5 minutes for 1 serving.)
This soup is excellent for freezing. Keep frozen up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat until simmering hot.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 13 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegetable soup recipe,garden vegetable soup,vegetable soup,veggie soup,garden veggie soup,healthy veggie soup,healthy vegetable soup