This Frittata with Ham and Asparagus is the perfect Spring meal! Ready in just 20 minutes, only 297 calories per serving, chocked full of 23 grams of protein and super kid friendly. AND you can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. See, like I said… perfection!
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, diced and washed (see tip*)
- ½ bunch asparagus, woody ends snapped off, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 6 large eggs
- pinch ground pepper, preferably white pepper
- Pinch nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- ¾ cup shredded Gouda or sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek, asparagus and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until bright green and just starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a bowl and stir in ham. Was and dry skillet.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl with the pepper and nutmeg. Return the skillet to medium-low heat and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and swirl the pan to coat with oil. Gently pour in the eggs and let cook, gently scraping the egg with a silicone spatula. Fold the cooked part of the egg back and allow runny egg to flow onto the surface of the hot skillet just until the egg starts to set up into a solid mass, 2 to 3 minutes. [The egg will still be runny on top, but continuing to stir would cause it to break into pieces at this point.] Spread the asparagus mixture over the eggs and continue cooking until the sides of the egg can be pulled back from the skillet with the spatula, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the frittata. Lift an edge of the egg back and drizzle 2 tablespoons water between the egg and skillet, cover the skillet and cook until the egg is set up on top and the cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
Tip* To Clean a Leek: Cut off dark outer greens leaving just the white and light green part. Slice lengthwise, and then slice into strips crosswise. Tansfer to a bowl of cold water and swish around to get all the dirt out from between the layers. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Lift the clean leek out leaving the sand at the bottom of the bowl. Lay out on a towel to dry.
- Serving Size: 1/4 frittata
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 639
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 23