These crispy black bean croquettes are a super easy vegetarian appetizer to serve for a Cinco de Mayo party. They’re made with only five ingredients and are ready in just 30 minutes!
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs *See tip
- 2 cups avocado or grape seed oil, for frying
- Pulse beans and salsa in a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment until it forms a coarse paste. Add egg, and pulse 4 to 5 times. Scrape sides and add 1 ½ cups bread crumbs. Pulse, scraping sides as needed until incorporated but not too smooth.
- Divide mixture into 12 croquettes, 2 generous tablespoons each. Place the remaining ¾ cup bread crumbs in a shallow dish and roll the croquettes into the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Heat oil in straight-sided skillet or saucepan over medium high heat until 350 degrees F. Gently lower 6 croquettes 1 at a time into the hot oil. Let cook, flipping once with a slotted spatula, until the breadcrumbs are deeply golden and the croquettes are hot all the way through, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oil and set on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining 6 croquettes, adjusting heat to make sure oil temperature remains around 350 degrees. Serve hot with salsa.
Tip: To make fresh bread crumbs. Slice dark crust off day-old bread. Break or cut into quarters. Process in food processor fitted with steel blade attachment until forms crumbs. 4 to 6 slices bread equals about 3 cups, depending on brand of bread.
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 393 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g