Here is how to make homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup from scratch with fresh mushrooms. Serve with a drizzle of truffle oil to make it extra special!
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, diced
4 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety or mixed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry thyme
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup dry sherry
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine no chicken
1 ½ cups low-fat milk (*see note for creamier soup)
3 tablespoons chopped chives
Truffle oil for drizzling, optional
- Sauté: Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Cook Mushrooms and Season: Add mushrooms salt, thyme and pepper, and cook stirring often until the mushrooms have released their juices and the juices have evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sherry and rosemary, bring to a simmer and let sherry evaporate until dry.
- Add Flour To Thicken: Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat.
- Add Liquid: stir in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously until the soup has thickened slightly. Add milk and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Finish and Serve: Remove from the heat, stir in chives. Ladle into bowls and drizzle with truffle oil, if using.
To Make It Ultra Creamy
For a richer soup instead of 1 1/2 cups milk, use 1 cup milk plus 1/2 cup heavy cream for a luxurious creamy texture.
To Make It Gluten Free
- To make this gluten-free you can omit the flour and make a slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the broth.
- Add the slurry in after the broth simmers but before the milk.
- Stir as it comes to a boil.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup soup
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g