Prepare your tastebuds for the juiciest most flavorful chicken dinner. Our Dry Rub Spice Roasted Chicken is so simple to prepare and makes the perfect Sunday Supper. And the best part is it only takes 15 minutes to get it into the oven
- 4 1/2 to 5 ½ pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Set oven rack in lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place roasting rack in roasting pan, if using, and coat the rack and pan with cooking spray.
- Place chicken on work surface and remove giblets. Pat dry with paper towels. Loosen skin by running fingers between the skin and the breast meat.
- Mix chili powder, salt, cumin, thyme, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper in a small dish. Mix butter, oil and garlic in a second small dish.
- Sprinkle about half of the dry dub inside the cavity of the chicken and rub between the skin and meat and in the cavity. Brush the garlic, oil and butter mixture over the outside of the chicken. Sprinkle and rub the spice mix over the entire outside of the chicken.
- Tie the chicken legs together or truss with preferred method with kitchen twine if desired. Place the chicken on the rack or directly on the surface of the roasting pan. Pour in 1 cup water around the chicken (or under the rack.)
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Without opening the oven reduce the heat to 325 and continue roasting until an instant read digital thermometer registers at least 165 degrees when inserted into the deepest part of the thigh meat, 1 hour 20 minutes to 2 hours 10 minutes. Times will vary depending on the weight of the chicken and thickness of the breast meat.
- Let the chicken rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove the legs at the thigh joint. Cut into drumstick and thighs. Cut through the breast meat to the wish bone. Remove wings, leaving drummet attached if desired. Then cut along the sternum of the chicken and slide knife along the rib bones to debone the chicken breast. Remove the chicken breast and set it on the cutting board. Slice into chunks.
Leftovers and Reheating
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in a casserole dish with a little chicken broth or water covered with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven set at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Alternatively, reheat an individual serving in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until steaming hot.
To Make A Broth With Bones
- Cover the bones with cold water and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer gently until the connective tissue at the joints and along the sternum dissolves, about two hours.
- Season with celery, onion and carrots in the last hour if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 28 grams
Keywords: Dry Rub Roast Chicken, Dry Rub Roasted Chicken, Spice Roast Chicken, Spice Roasted Chicken, dry rub whole chicken, roast chicken rub, roasted chicken rub