Here’s a Maple Cranberry Apple Pie recipe for Thanksgiving with a deep dish whole grain crust and a sweet crumble topping.
- 1 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 4 large Macintosh apples, 1.75 pounds, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 large firm apples, such as Honey Crisp, Mutsu or Ginger Gold, .75 pounds, peeled cored and sliced
- ¾ cup fresh whole cranberries
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans
- Make crust: Pulse whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, maple sugar and salt in food processor. Add butter, and process until the butter is cut in and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Open lid, drizzle on oil and pulse to combine. Open lid and drizzle on 3 tablespoons ice water. Process until the mixture just comes together. If the mixture seems dry or does not come together as a ball, try squeezing a handful of the crumbs together. If it still won’t come together, add up to 2 more tablespoons water. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Arrange oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Roll dough out to a circle, about 14-inches across. Transfer to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and crimp edges. Chill crust while you prepare filling.
- Make Filling: Toss Macintosh apples, firm apples, cranberries, maple syrup, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Make Topping: Stir whole-wheat flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle butter over the oat mixture, tossing with a fork. Sit until the crumbs are evenly moist. Add almonds and stir to completely combine.
- Fill crust with the apple mixture. Top with the almond crumb mixture and transfer the pie to the bottom rack of the oven. Bake until starting to brown, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking until the filling bubbles and the crust is golden brown, about 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 33 g
- Sodium: 88 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 4 g