These healthy crab cakes without mayo are perfect for a weeknight dinner, a succulent crab cake sandwich, or to fulfill that Maryland crab cake craving! In just under 30 minutes, you’ll have a dense and flavorful crab cake patty ready for a special occasion or a simple last-minute feast!
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt, fat-free or low-fat
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Generous pinch celery seed
- 5 to 10 dashes Tabasco hot sauce
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 16 ounces lump or jumbo crab meat
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Stir yogurt, egg white, Old Bay, salt, pepper, celery seed and Tabasco in a large bowl. Stir in scallions, crab and breadcrumbs and combine thoroughly.
- Form crab meat into 8 patties with clean hands, about 3.25 ounces each (or a generous ¼ cup.)
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in oil, swirl the butter mixture to coat the bottom of the pan and add the cakes. Cook the cakes undisturbed until browned on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Flip cakes and continue cooking until browned on the bottom and hot all the way through when tested with an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes. If the pan starts to smoke before the cakes are heated through, turn the heat to medium-low.
Ingredient Note: Look for pasteurized crab in the seafood section of the supermarket. It is packed in clear or metal tins and is already picked and cooked. There are various types such as claw, fancy, lump or special. If you like big chunks of crab in your cakes, make sure to buy the Jumbo, Lump or Special and mix the crab into the other ingredients last and use a light touch when blending it in.
Make Ahead: Prepare through step 3 up to 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.
Reheating: Reheat crab cakes in a lightly oiled skillet, covered, over medium-low heat. Flip once and cook, until heated through, about 5 mins. Can be microwaved to reheat. Place on a microwave safe plate and keep covered (with a paper towel.) Microwave for about 1 minute 40 seconds for 2 cakes on high power.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Active Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Serving Size: 2 cakes
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: Crab Cake Recipe No Mayo, Crab Cake Recipe Without Mayo, Crab Cakes No Mayo, Crab Cakes Without Mayo, crab cakes recipe healthy, healthy crab cake recipe, healthy crab cakes recipe