This Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Pecans has a gluten-free option, vegetarian option, and time-saving option! Follow the make-ahead instructions or you can prepare it while the turkey roasts, then bake it when the turkey is resting.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, yellow or sweet
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (3 to 4 stalks)
- 2 apples such as golden, honey crisp or gala, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup hard cider or apple cider
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth or home-made unsalted chicken or turkey stock
- 2 large eggs
- a 12 to 14-ounce bag cornbread stuffing cubes or 8 cups home-made see tip*
- ¾ cup toasted chopped pecans
- Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter is melted and bubbling. Add onion, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add apple sage, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring until the herbs are fragrant and combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cider, stir to combine and simmer until evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Whisk about 1 cup hot apple and broth mixture into the eggs to temper the eggs. Stir in the remaining vegetable and broth mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add cornbread and pecans and toss to combine. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray(9 by 13- or similar volume.) Transfer the stuffing to the baking dish and cover with foil. Can be refrigerated up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake covered with foil until the stuffing is heated through, 35 to 45 minutes for cold refrigerated stuffing or 25 to 30 minutes for freshly mixed stuffing. Remove foil, and continue baking just until the top is browned, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Tip* to make this recipe with home-made cornbread, bake batch of cornbread. My gluten-free skillet cornbread works perfectly! Cool and cut into small cubes, about a half-inch each. Spread 8 cups cubes (about ¾ batch of cornbread) on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 300 degrees until dry, 28 to 32 minutes. Cool completely. Follow the instructions with the following modifications: add ½ teaspoon dried sage and ½ teaspoon salt in step 2. Decrease broth to 2 cups in step 3. Use the 8 cups dried cornbread in place of the purchased in step 5.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4