Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Pecans. A gluten-free option, vegetarian option, and time saving option. Make-ahead or prepare while the turkey roasts, then bake it when the turkey is resting.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, yellow or sweet
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (3 to 4 stalks)
- 2 apples such as golden, honey crisp or gala, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup hard cider or apple cider
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth or home-made unsalted chicken or turkey stock
- 2 large eggs
- a 12 to 14 ounce bag corn bread stuffing cubes or 8 cups home-made see tip*
- ¾ cup toasted chopped pecans
- Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter is melted and bubbling. Add onion, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add apple sage, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring until the herbs are fragrant and combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cider, stir to combine and simmer until evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Whisk about 1 cup hot apple and broth mixture into the eggs to temper the eggs. Stir in the remaining vegetable and broth mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add cornbread and pecans and toss to combine.
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray(9 by 13- or similar volume.) Transfer the stuffing to the baking dish and cover with foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until the top is browned, 35 to 45 minutes longer.
Tip* to make this recipe with home-made cornbread, bake batch of cornbread. My gluten-free skillet cornbread works perfectly! Cool and cut into small cubes, about a half-inch each. Spread 8 cups cubes (about ¾ batch of cornbread) on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 300 degrees until dry, 28 to 32 minutes. Cool completely. Follow the instructions with the following modifications: add ½ teaspoon dried sage and ½ teaspoon salt in step 2. Decrease broth to 2 cups in step 3. Use the 8 cups dried cornbread in place of the purchased in step 5.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4