Cod fish tacos with easy cajun seasoned blackened cod, healthy avocado crema made with yogurt, and shredded cabbage. A super easy 20 minute dinner the whole family will adore!
8 corn tortillas, or grain free tortillas if desired
1 clove garlic, minced
2 limes, divided
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound sustainably sourced cod filet
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, see ingredient note
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups freshly sliced or bagged shredded cabbage
Pico de gallo, optional
- Warm Tortillas: Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place in oven set at 300 degrees. Alternatively, just before serving, warm the tortillas in a microwave, wrapped in a damp paper towel.
- Make Avocado Crema: Puree avocado, garlic, juice from one lime, cilantro, yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt in a mini prep or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Cut and Season Cod: Cut cod into cubes (about ¾-inch to 1 inch) and spread out on a plate. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and salt. Toss to coat with the spices.
- Cook Fish: Heat butter in a large non-stick skillet over high heat. When butter is melted and just starting to brown, add in the cod. Let cook, stirring once or twice until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Assemble Tacos: Divide the cod among the tortillas, top with cabbage and avocado cream. Serve with pico de gallo on the side.
I like Teeny Tiny Spice Company organic Cajun seasoning, but there are several on the market that are also great. Just keep an eye out for those with extra added salt. You’ll want to scale back on the added salt on the fish in that case.
TO MEAL PREP THIS RECIPE
Unfortunately, leftover cooked cod is not great, so I recommend prepping the fish the night you’ll eat it. And eating this the night you cook it. But you can do meal prep for this recipe and have it ready even faster!
Crema: The Crema can be made up to 3 days ahead and it won’t change color. Just store it in a sealed container in the fridge and stir well before serving.
Cabbage: You can pre-shred the cabbage (or as I said, buy it in a bag) up to 4 days ahead. Store it in a resealable plastic bag.
If you make follow these steps, you can have these cod fish tacos on the table in less than 15 minutes flat.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 19 g