This coconut covered layer cake with layers of raspberry jam topped with fresh raspberries is gonna knock your socks off!
For the cake
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 8-ounce package neufcatel cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
To Assemble and Decorate
- 1 ½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- ¾ cup seedless raspberry jam, room temperature.
- 1 cup raspberries
- To Make Cake: Arrange one oven rack in the center of the oven. Set a second rack below it. Place a roasting pan with water on the lower rack. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 9-inch deep cake pans with cooking spray. Line with parchment rounds (see tip*.)
- Whisk cake flour, whole- wheat pastry flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg whites and salt with stand mixer or hand mixer with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Transfer the whites to a medium bowl.
- Switch to paddle attachment. Add butter and 1 ¼ cup coconut sugar to the bowl and beat on medium high until creamed together, about 1 ½ minutes. Add yolks, while beating, one at a time. Scrape sides, and continue beating until very light and fluffy looking. Gradually beat in Greek yogurt. Scrape sides again. Beat in vanilla.
- Turn off motor, and add flour mixture. Fold in by hand with a rubber spatula. Fold in egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Divide batter between the prepared pans. Set cake pans in the oven on the center rack. Bake until puffed and starting to turn lightly golden along the edges. The top should spring back when lightly touched, 22 to 28 minutes. Test center of the cakes with a toothpick. It should come out clean. Let cakes cool in their pans on a cooling rack at least 15 minutes before turning out onto the cooling rack to cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: Beat neufcatel in a mixing bowl on medium speed until soft and smooth. Add in butter, two tablespoons at a time, beating constantly. Add ½ cup coconut sugar, increase speed to medium-high, and beat, scraping sides once, until the sugar is dissolved in the butter mixture and it is very fluffy, 3 minutes. Taste a small amount to make sure that sugar is not grainy any more. Scrape sides and beat in 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Refrigerate, stirring once or twice until slightly stiffened, 20 to 40 minutes.
- Assemble Cake: Using a sharp serrated knife, cut each layer in half (this should give you 4 layers total.) Lay small sheets of parchment on a platter touching in the middle to protect the platter from frosting. Set first cake layer, cut side up, on the center of the seams. Spread ¼ cup raspberry jam just on top of the first layer. Top with two more layers of cake and jam. Top with the fourth layer of cake. Spread the frosting all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Pat coconut all over the cake. Refrigerate cake 40 minutes to 1 hour to stiffen the frosting if necessary. Decorate the top of the cake with fresh raspberries before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/16th cake
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 217 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g