This mayo-free Chimichurri Chicken Salad will be the back to school lunch of your dreams and it just happens to be Whole 30 friendly, gluten free and ready in 25 minutes!
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup clean packed cilantro leaves
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped celery hearts
- ¼ cup toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir to dissolve. Add chicken breast and return to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, covered, turning occasionally to make sure that it cooks evenly, until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool, about 20 minutes. Cut chicken into ½-inch to 3/4 –inch cubes.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt over the garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife until it forms a thick paste. Transfer the garlic and salt paste, cilantro, parsley, olive oil and lime juice or vinegar to a food processor and process until it forms a thick paste, scraping down sides occasionally.
- Stir the chicken, the chimichurri, celery and almonds in a medium bowl until the chicken is coated in the chimichurri sauce. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until chilled.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 202 calories
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 585 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 16 g