These delicious homemade Chickpea Burgers with brown rice and falafel flavors are so simple to prepare! They have shredded carrots, parsley, garlic and spices and are paired with lemon tahini sauce.
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large egg
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon harissa paste or powder, optional
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
8-ounce package cooked brown rice (or 1 ½ cup cold leftover cooked brown rice)
½ cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons avocado oil or neutral cooking oil
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt or plant-based yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 Toasted buns or English muffins for serving
Cucumber slices, red onion slices and sprouts for serving
- Place half of the chickpeas in the food processor with the steel blade attachment and process for 10 seconds. Scrape sides and process again until as smooth as possible.
- Add the remaining chickpeas, egg, garlic, flour, cumin, harissa, ¾ teaspoon salt and cinnamon and pulse ten times until most of the whole chickpeas are cut into coarse grind with only some larger pieces about the size of a pea.
- Scrape the chickpea mixture out into a large bowl. Add carrot, rice and parsley and stir together to make the burger dough.
- Using moist hands, form six burgers, about 3 inches wide and ¾-inch thick. Set on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook, undisturbed until the bottom of the patties are browned and the color is visible along the bottom edges of the patties, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers over with a thin spatula and continue cooking until they are cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, whisk Greek yogurt, tahini, zest, lemon juice and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Thin with water if desired.
- Spread the tahini sauce over both cut sides of each bun or English muffin (about 1 tablespoon per bun half.) Serve the burgers on buns or English muffins topped with the cucumber, onion and sprouts.
These can be frozen after cooking. Freeze them on a baking sheet, then transfer them to a resealable container. Freeze for up to two months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 12 hours. To reheat, cook them in a skillet with olive oil over medium-low heat, covered until heated through, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Serving Size: 1 burger, 1 bun and 2 tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 10 g