This homemade Chicken Shepherd’s Pie is perfect for cold weather, hearty, and packed with wholesome ingredients like left-over chicken, rotisserie chicken, or left-over turkey in a creamy leek sauce that is topped with sweet corn and creamy mashed potatoes for a healthy twist on traditional classic.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 ½ cup chopped leek, white and pale green part only
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken stock or reduced sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cooked, shredded cooked chicken, turkey, or rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or stove-to-oven casserole over medium high heat. Add leek and cook, stirring often until softened and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the leeks and stir to coat. Stir in stock (or broth) followed by cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes. Stir chicken, corn, parsley, salt and pepper into the leek mixture, and remove from the heat.
- Layer the corn on top of the chicken. Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the potatoes are starting to brown and heated through and the sauce is bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
To Make Ahead: Can be prepared through step 3 up to 2 days in advance. Store covered with aluminum foil in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6th casserole
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 25 g
Keywords: Shepherd's Pie Chicken, Shepherd's Pie with Chicken, Chicken Shepherd's Pie Healthy, Shepherd's Pie with Turkey