This baked Mexican casserole recipe is made with tortillas, chicken, cheese and tomato sauce. It’s a healthy version of the Mexican comfort food casserole.
- 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican spice blend
- 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 6 ounces
- Freshly chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray
- Lay tortillas out on two baking sheet. Bake until just starting to harden and brown in spots, 12 to 16 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until softened and starting to brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Stir in Mexican spice blend and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in spinach, corn and chicken and cook, stirring until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Open can of tomatoes, and stir in vinegar and salt. Spread about ½ cup of the tomato in the bottom of the baking dish. Layer a third of the tortillas over the sauce. Top with half of the chicken and corn mixture. Pour ¾ cup of the tomato mixture over the chicken and sprinkle with ½ cup cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, the remaining chicen and corn mixture, ¾ cup sauce and ½ cup cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and sauce.
- Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake the casserole until heated through, steaming and bubbling around the edges, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove foil and top with the remaining ½ cup cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes.
If you do not have leftover cooked chicken you can use Rotisserie chicken or you can cook it using either of these two easy methods:
To Cook Chicken Breast in an Instant Pot
- Place two chicken breasts (approx one pound) and a half cup of water into the insert of the Instant Pot.
- Add in a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Pressure cook it on high for 20 minutes. Carefully turn vent to release steam. Remove lid and remove the chicken from the liquid. Shred with two forks.
To Cook Chicken Breast on the Stove Top
- Place chicken breast in a medium saucepan and cover completely with cold tap water. Place over high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, turning in the poaching liquid occasionally until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes, depending on thickness of the meat.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks.
- Serving Size: 1/6 casserole
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 35 g