Here is a delicious creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe that can be conveniently made ahead in freezer packs, and then cooked in a slow cooker!
For Freezer Packs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound cubed boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2/3 cup wild rice
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups green beans trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
To Finish The Soup
7 cups chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sour cream
Make Freezer Packs
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with garlic, and cook, stirring often until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Combine onion, carrot, celery and wild rice in a large resealable freezer bag. Scrape the chicken, oil and garlic mixture into the bag. Add sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Combine red bell pepper and green beans in a second bag. Seal bags, label and freeze for up to 1 month.
To Cook and Finish the Soup
- Remove bags from freezer. Combine the chicken mixture, broth and wine in slow cooker and set to low for 7 hours. Set the bag with the green beans and peppers in the refrigerator to partially thaw.
- One hour before the timer goes off, combine the softened butter and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Remove the lid from the slow cooker, and stir in the butter mixture. Add the green beans and red peppers to the slow cooker, stir, cover and allow to continue cooking for the remaining hour. Stir in sour cream just before serving.
Note: This recipe can also be cooked on high for four hours total. After the first three hours, add in the butter and flour mixture and green bean and red pepper packet as you would for the slower cooking method.
If your slow cooker only has four and eight hour settings, use those and just set a separate timer to remind yourself to add the thickener and veggies in the last hour.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 23 g