These 30 Minute Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash are vegetarian and have 19 grams of protein in them.
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed if necessary
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Cook Acorn Squash: Place acorn squash cut side down in a large microwave safe casserole dish such as a 9 by 13-inch Pyrex lasagna pan. Pour one cup water over the squash. Layer parchment or waxed paper over the squash and then cover the dish entirely with a layer of plastic wrap. Microwave until the squash is tender, about 16 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the microwave with potholders. Avoiding steam, carefully remove plastic and parchment and turn the squash over cut-side up with a spatula.
- Make Quinoa Filling: Meanwhile, bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, return to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer. Cook until the germ bursts open and the quinoa has absorbed the liquid, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix the hot quinoa with scallions, cilantro, half of the cheese, spice blend and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted into the quinoa. Add salsa and yogurt and stir until creamy.
- Stuff the squash with the quinoa mixture, dividing evenly among the four halves. Top with the remaining cheese. Microwave until the cheese is melted, about 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
To Make In Oven
- To cook the squash set it in an oven safe baking dish and pour the water over it as directed. Bake uncovered and cut-side down until the squash is tender when you press them with your finger. Flip them over to make sure they are tender with a fork. This will take 45 minutes to an hour depending on the squash you have.
- Prepare the quinoa as directed, stuff the squash and top with cheese.
- Drain the water from the baking dish and return the squash to the baking dish. Bake them 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed acorn squash half
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 706 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 49 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 19 g