Very simple 4-ingredient recipe for tomatoes topped with sharp cheddar cheese and roasted with a little seasoning. Gluten-free and Vegetarian.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar, such as Cabot Seriously Sharp
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut tomatoes in half along the equator. Place cut-side up on the baking sheet.
- Divide the cheddar among the tomatoes. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Roast until the tomatoes are soft and starting to sag under their own weight, and the cheddar is bubbling and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
- You can add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil to this recipe. Simply sprinkle the basil under the cheese before roasting.
- If you do not have Italian Seasonings you can substitute dried oregano.
- Tomatoes that are very large or not super ripe will take longer to bake.
- Serving Size: 2 tomato halves
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 210 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 7 g